Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's for dinner tonight??

I am always looking for good recipes to make in my crock pot and I think that this one is a keeper.  I feel like we are all on the go all the time and having dinner made that morning makes the evenings run much smoother.  I bought kielbasa sausage at the grocery store recently on BOGO special and was looking for a different way to eat it.  I will definitely be making this stew again.  My youngest and pickiest eater ate a whole bowl and commented on the "depth of flavor".  Might have something to do with the 6 pieces of bacon!!  I hope you and your family enjoy this as much as we did.



Crock Pot Kielbasa Sausage Stew
Serves 6-8, prep time 20 minutes,
cook time 8-10 hours

Ingredients:


                6 slices bacon
                1 onion, chopped
                2 packages of  kielbasa sausage, sliced in bite size pieces
                2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
                1 24 oz can crushed tomatoes
                1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
                1/2 c chopped carrots
                3 stalks of celery chopped
                1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
                1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
                1/2 teaspoon black pepper


1  Fry bacon in skillet until crisp and drain on paper towels
2  Crumble bacon and place in large slow cooker.
3  Add onions and sausage to drippings in skillet.
4  Cook until onions are soft.
5 Transfer onions and sausage to slow cooker.
6 Add all remaining ingredients to cooker and stir together well.
7 Cover.
8 Cook 8-10 hours on low


I think this is too thick to serve with rice.  I just heated up some of the  sister schuberts dinner rolls and served them with the stew.  

No comments:

Post a Comment